The Director, Evaluation & Outcomes is responsible for overseeing Susan G. Komen’s (SGK) monitoring and evaluation efforts including the design, implementation, and analysis of surveys and other initiatives to inform SGK programming; ongoing coding and categorization of grants; as well as program and project evaluations designed to assess the impact of SGK’s mission portfolio.
- Works closely with the Managing Director, Evaluation & Outcomes and SGK Leadership to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for monitoring and evaluation of SGK’s mission activities
- Works with SGK Leadership and Evaluation & Outcomes staff to identify metrics and develop plans to monitor progress toward SGK goals and evaluate the impact of SGK mission activities
- Oversees all SGK survey initiatives such as grantee, advocate, and stakeholder surveys including survey design, data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Oversees periodic breast cancer or topic-specific landscape analyses to determine areas of need and gaps within the field for strategic planning purposes
- Refines and expands existing monitoring and evaluation activities to identify best practices and incorporate lessons learned about mission grants and programs into future programming (e.g. RFAs, proposals, Policies & Procedures, and applicant guidelines)
- Works with Mission Leadership to determine data collection needs, ensuring efficient and effective data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Oversees the ongoing coding and categorization of Komen’s research grants using designated coding systems including the Common Scientific Outline and other research classification systems.
- Works closely with the Managing Director, Evaluation & Outcomes and the Evaluation & Outcomes team to establish definitions for internal coding systems and inclusion/exclusion criteria
- Oversees the review and coding of SGK grants and programs to facilitate portfolio evaluation
- Contributes to educational and training programs related to SGK evaluation efforts
- Serves as a Komen representative on internal and external committees and working groups.
- Communicates SGK evaluation results and activities through publications, presentations, and other communication channels
- Monitors trends and developments in research and public health evaluation methods and their application.
- Upholds Komen’s principles of scientific excellence, fairness and transparency in all aspects of the grants application, review and management process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Director, Evaluation & Outcomes manages the following:
- Research Program Evaluator Codes all research and scientific program grants and
evaluates research-related grants and programs
- Outcomes Manager Monitors outcomes of research-related grants and
programs and communicates the outcomes of SGK’s research portfolio to multiple audiences
- Research Project Manager Maintains an archive of all of SGK’s grants and
programs as well as databases housing SGK’s grants with associated codes; performs data queries and graphs program data for various audiences
Describe minimum (type and amount) of experience required for competent performance in the job.
Doctoral degree or equivalent (e.g. PhD, ScD, MD, DrPH) in biomedical sciences or public health-related field and at least seven years of experience in program evaluation and/or portfolio analysis is required. Demonstrated experience managing projects and staff; excellent verbal and written communications skills, ability to explain and discuss scientific and technical content in clear and concise terms to lay audiences; ability to think quickly, critically and strategically; demonstrated experience with quantitative and qualitative data analysis; excellent and instinctive service and customer relationship skills; and excellent organizational and contract and project management skills.
Describe preferred (type and amount) of experience for competent performance in the job.
Strongly prefer candidates with experience in survey research including survey design, testing, implementation, and data interpretation. Relevant knowledge of or experience with breast cancer research, research funding, or is a plus. Previous experience with independent research, grant/proposal writing, scientific or peer review, and/or contracts management is preferred.
Describe specialized knowledge requirements of the position.
Strong organizational and project management skills. Knowledge of the scientific and research process, particularly research funding and grant-making operations. Knowledge of public health program design, development, implementation and evaluation. Excellent analytical skills related to evaluation of research findings and program impact. Strong computer skills including experience with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software. Outstanding oral and written communication skills for both technical and general audiences. Demonstrated ability and willingness to assume responsibility and to successfully work with minimal supervision, both independently and as a team. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously..