As the entry point to Event Program Management, the Event Specialist assists in the planning, development and implementation of Susan G. Komen related special events, with project management responsibility for specific initiatives. Ensures the integration of event objectives with the organization’s strategic plan. Assists as the central point of contact for an event or series of events (internal or external). Identifies and maximizes communications and mission-related opportunities for each event and/or speaking opportunity.
- Assists the project manager of Komen sponsored events. Helps provide advice/guidance for event content, promotion, logistics, overall theme/direction, creative/concept services, event activities and entertainment that fits the event objectives and is appropriate for the audience as well as the brand/reputation of the organization.
- Plans, organizes and facilitates Komen exhibit and activation at selected conferences. Identifies target audience and goals for the exhibit activation. Recommends conference attendance, manages exhibit logistics, analyzes staffing needs, develops briefing documents and evaluates impact at events.
- Partners with internal team members, other departments, and outside marketing, logistics, activation, meeting planning and production agencies to maximize the organization’s involvement in all Komen-sponsored events, Komen-as-beneficiary events, and other events at which Komen leadership plays a key role. Works closely with the Communications team to leverage public relations and media opportunities surrounding these events and identifies opportunities to advance the Komen vision and brand.
- Assists in the management and oversight of external firms, agencies or contractors; helps monitor day-to-day activities of the firms, agencies or individuals as they relate to the Komen and its Affiliates and partners. Helps establish and oversee budgets and identifies quarterly priorities. Ensures budget and timeline adherence for projects and deliverables.
- Plans work flow in order to meet day-to-day administrative requirements of the events function.
- Assists in the coordination of advance work for Komen leadership participation at events, including but not limited to, providing representatives with appropriate background and logistical information for the event/engagement.
- Measures/evaluates special event outcomes to assess the level of objectives achieved. May provide recommendations to Komen leadership for continuation, modification or elimination of a special event(s) or programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Event Specialist has no direct reports.
Describe minimum (type and amount) of experience required for competent performance in the job.
The minimum requirements established for this job include a BS or BA in marketing, communications, event management, public relations or related field, or equivalent experience. Experience in event execution, community engagement, relationship/partner cultivation, meeting planning, production and/or promotion required. A minimum of 2-4 years direct experience required, including special event management and promotion. Ability to support an overall strategic business plan, and effectively help manage the supporting budget(s). Proven ability to develop vendor, partners and VIP relationships in order to enhance awareness and image of the organization and its mission. Excellent written and verbal skills are essential.
Describe preferred (type and amount) of experience for competent performance in the job.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with high-profile personalities, diverse audiences and events agencies in a corporate marketing, agency or non-profit setting. Prior work experience with a not-for-profit or volunteer environment is valuable.
Describe specialized knowledge requirements of the position.
Event planning, budgeting and execution for events ranging from intimate VIP gatherings of 50 or less to large scale functions (1,000+).
Travel on weekdays and weekends is necessary
Ability to lift boxes of 20 lbs