Applies scientific expertise to Research, Evaluation and Scientific Programs. Manages scientific (peer) review process for Request for Application-driven grants. Manages initiation, annual progress and financial reporting, change requests, and close out for assigned portfolio of funded research grants. Coordinates with Research Programs Evaluation team in tracking and evaluating research outcomes and promising discoveries. Supports communications and education efforts to develop strategies and novel approaches for illustrating the impact of Komen's research investments.
- Manages application and scientific review process for assigned peer review committees for Request for Application-driven grants.
- Reviews submitted grant applications and issues to recommendations to Committee Chairperson on acceptance or administrative withdrawal.
- Determines scientific expertise needed to review submitted applications, researches published literature and database of prior Komen reviewers to identify potential reviewers, and issues invitations.
- Monitors Committee submission of critiques and ratings for alignment with Komen score anchors and rating system; provides feedback to reviewers on addressing review criteria within critiques; ensures critiques and ratings are submitted on schedule; works with Chairperson to manage real and perceived conflicts of interest.
- Participates in conference calls with Chairperson to review outcomes of pre- and full application review process and follows up with Committee members regarding disparate scores at direction of Chairperson.
- Facilitates final review meeting in collaboration with the Chairperson; prepares Agenda, presents summary of research application at the direction of Chairperson; ensures that conflicts of interests are managed and quorums are maintained; prepares final review summaries provided to the applicants.
- Participates in online training of advocate reviewers with regard to Komen application materials, review process, score system and review anchors, etc.
- Contributes analysis to application submission and review evaluations and process reports.
- Identifies and recommends modifications to research mechanisms, peer review processes, and policies to achieve defined goals.
- Manages initiation, reporting, change requests, and close out for currently active research grants.
- Reviews annual progress and financial reports. Compares progress reports to proposed research plans, identifies discrepancies and assesses requirements for further scientific review by the Scientific Advisory Board. Compares expenditures to proposed budgets and assess discrepancies. Appropriately escalates financial issues to the Manager, Scientific Grants Administration and develops recommendations for escalation issues.
- Reviews and evaluates grantee requests for changes, such as changes of institutions, budgets, research plans, and personnel. Manages and provides recommendations for escalated requests.
- Escalates grantee misconduct or failure to comply with grant requirements to Komen legal department.
- Manages close out of completed grants, including review and assessment of final progress and financial reports, verification of final institutional payments and/or reimbursements, verification of all final reports and issuance of grant close out letter.
- Evaluates existing grants to determine if funded grants are achieving intended program outcomes. Identifies grantee barriers to research progress, tracks across grants and provides recommendations for approaches to eliminate or minimize the impact of barriers.
- Identifies and implements approaches for improving grantee relations, identifying unmet research requirements, evaluating partnership opportunities, and serving as a key liaison to grantees.
- Professionally and rapidly addresses inquiries and requests from grantees and grantee institution officials and
- Assists in developing grantee surveys and interviewing protocols to track grantee and institutional satisfaction with Komen grants management procedures and policies.
- Links and coordinates grantee activities and involvement with Komen Affiliates and works with Affiliate Relationship Managers to foster strong and meaningful links between Komen researchers and Affiliates
- Coordinates with Research Programs Evaluation team in tracking and evaluating research outcomes and promising discoveries and in developing strategies and novel approaches for illustrating the impact of Komen's research investments.
- Proactively identifies new research outcomes, such as publications, discoveries and invited presentations and coordinates announcements, press releases, and website descriptions with Komen Evaluation Team and Communications Department.
- Supports communications and education efforts to develop strategies and novel approaches for illustrating the impact of Komen's research investments.
- Serves as a Komen representative on internal and external committees and working groups to represent Komen’s research process and provides advice about best practices.
- Keeps current and is knowledgeable of other scientific organizations funding procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Scientific Grants Manager may supervise Grants Administrators and/or Research Project Managers either directly or within a matrix reporting environment.
Describe minimum (type and amount) of experience required for competent performance in the job.
Doctoral degree required with, completion of postdoctoral fellowship training in breast cancer research.
Describe preferred (type and amount) of experience for competent performance in the job.
Doctoral degree required, completion of postdoctoral fellowship training in breast cancer research, and continued experience and publication history in breast cancer research. Experience in grants or program administration, preferably in health research and/or scientific project development.
Describe specialized knowledge requirements of the position.
Knowledge of the scientific and research process, particularly research funding and grant-making operations. Knowledge of breast cancer, breast cancer research and understanding of and comfort with scientific methods and terminology. Must have excellent and instinctive service and customer relationship skills. Excellent organizational and contract and project management skills required. Solid writing and speaking skills required.
Return to the
list of all openings or openings by department