Every person with breast cancer deserves the best care possible. Finding good health care providers and a quality hospital helps ensure you get excellent care and may also give you peace of mind.
This section of Understanding Breast Cancer outlines resources to help you find a good provider and medical center and describes ways to help make sure you get the best quality of care.
In 2013, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) released a set of recommendations (below) on improving cancer care in the U.S. The report Delivering High-Quality Cancer Care: Charting a New Course for a System in Crisis recommends improvements to fix shortcomings that add cost and burden to cancer care. Susan G. Komen® was one of 13 organizations sponsoring this study.
The report identified key ways to improve quality of care:
- Ensure that cancer patients are engaged and understand their diagnoses so they can make informed treatment decisions with their health care providers
- Develop a trained and coordinated workforce of cancer professionals
- Focus on evidence-based care, using information technology to provide better information about the potential benefits of treatments
- Focus on quality measurements
- Provide accessible and affordable care for all
Read the full report.